Tasmanians are getting their first glimpse of Hobart Airport’s $200 million terminal expansion as the facility prepares to open its new security screening area on Monday.
The redevelopment, which began last year, will double the terminal’s size and introduce features inspired by iconic Tasmanian landscapes.
Hobart Airport CEO Norris Carter said the opening marked a significant milestone in the three-year project, which is scheduled for completion in early 2027.
“Our $200 million terminal expansion will create an unmistakably Tasmanian experience for travellers when they touch-down at the state’s most popular gateway,” Carter said.

The design incorporates distinctly Tasmanian elements including Russet Tan walls inspired by the Bay of Fires, forest green upholstery and blackwood tables crafted from timber recovered from an 1880s bridge in Tasmania’s South West.
From Monday, passengers will experience a modernised security screening process featuring body scanners, CT bag x-ray technology and an automatic tray return system.

“The big news is that you will no longer have to unpack your laptop, devices or aerosols from your carry-on luggage, making security screening a lot simpler,” Carter said.
The upgraded screening area expands from two lanes to three, helping accommodate growing passenger numbers through the terminal.
The expansion comes after a record-breaking year with more than 2.8 million passengers travelling through Hobart Airport during the last financial year.
Forecasts predict this will increase to 3.5 million by 2030.

Future developments include relocating car rental offices from inside the terminal to a new external office space in an effort to reduce congestion around the baggage collection area.