Advertisement
Pulse Tasmania Hoz Black Logo

[breaking_news_bar]

Second man charged over Claremont shooting after suspect dies in custody

Picture of Pulse Tasmania
The man will front the Hobart Magistrates Court. Image / Pulse

A second New Norfolk man has been charged over an alleged shooting at Curlew Parade in Claremont on Friday.

The 22-year-old man handed himself in to police on Saturday afternoon.

Advertisement

He was charged late on Sunday with causing grievous bodily harm, common assault, recklessly discharging a firearm, possessing a firearm without a licence, aggravated burglary and breaching bail conditions.

He was remanded to appear in court today.

A 22-year-old New Norfolk man handed himself in to police on Saturday afternoon. Image / Pulse (File)

A man in his 20s who was shot during the incident remains in the Royal Hobart Hospital.

However, another man arrested over the incident has since died in custody at the Hobart Reception Prison.

A 23-year-old man from New Norfolk died at the Hobart Reception Prison. Image / Pulse

The 23-year-old from New Norfolk had been transferred into custody around 5:30pm on Saturday.

Just before 11am on Sunday, prison staff found him unresponsive in his cell.

Advertisement

Tasmania Police Assistant Commissioner Doug Oosterloo said paramedics, police and prison staff all attempted to revive the man.

“Ambulance Tasmania crews were called, Hobart Uniform Police attended and Hobart Reception Prison staff all assisted in attempting to revive the man,” Oosterloo said.

Assistant Commissioner Doug Oosterloo addressed media about the death in custody on Sunday. Image / Pulse

“But tragically those attempts were unsuccessful and the man was pronounced deceased about 11:30am.”

The cause of death is unknown and will be determined by the Coroner following a post-mortem.

Advertisement

Oosterloo confirmed all deaths in custody are treated as suspicious until proven otherwise.

“The scene has been attended by forensic services staff, our forensic specialists, detectives from Professional Standards,” he said.

Tristian Bell said the matter would be referred to the Coroner. Image / Pulse

“The coroner has attended and that is a matter that will be obviously informed by the investigation.”

A Professional Standards investigation is now underway into the circumstances of the death.

He said the family of the man are “understandably devastated” and said Tasmania Police’s “thoughts are with the family and loved ones of the deceased man at this incredibly difficult time”.

Tristian Bell, Acting Director of Prisons, said the matter would be referred to the Coroner for examination.

“This is standard practice whenever a death occurs in a corrections environment,” Bell said.

More of The Latest

News

Advertisement

Share this article

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter
Email
Print