Advertisement
Pulse Tasmania Hoz Black Logo

[breaking_news_bar]

Tasmanian premier demands reversal of travel cut for Cameron Baird’s parents

Picture of Pulse Tasmania
Baird was killed during service in Afghanistan in 2013. Image / Supplied

Premier Jeremy Rockliff is demanding the federal government immediately reverse its decision to cut a $2,800 travel allowance for the parents of fallen Victoria Cross recipient Corporal Cameron Baird.

Rockliff, on social media on Sunday night, said the matter could not wait for a federal review.

Advertisement

“This needs to be fixed by Canberra, right now,” he said.

Doug and Kaye Baird have spent more than a decade travelling to schools and RSL clubs around the country, sharing the story of their son, who was killed in Afghanistan in 2013.

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs had been reimbursing about $2,800 a year in air fares and car hire to help cover their costs.

Last week, the family was told the funding would stop.

Rockliff said the decision diminished the legacy of a national hero.

“Corporal Cameron Baird VC MG is an Australian hero,” he said.

Advertisement

“He represents the very best of Australia. Cam was a proud son of Tasmania.”

Cameron Baird was born in Burnie in 1981 and was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross – the nation’s highest military honour.

Rockliff said his government had been in direct contact with Canberra.

“We have been in contact with Canberra and urged in the strongest possible terms that this decision be reversed,” he said.

Advertisement

“His legacy should never be diminished by bureaucratic decisions in Canberra.”

The premier acknowledged offers of private support but said it was not the answer.

“I have seen reports that some fantastic Australians have put their hands up to help,” he said.

“But it should not be left to good Samaritans alone to uphold Cam’s memory.”

Deputy Premier Guy Barnett, a close friend of the Baird family, said he had fought the same battle before.

“They’ve decided $2,800 a year is too expensive,” Barnett said. “It’s disgraceful.”

“They tried to make this same decision years ago and I got that reversed. I’ll be doing all I can to see that same outcome again.”

The federal government has ordered an independent review of Victoria Cross travel entitlements and the Bairds will keep their allowance while it is under way.

More of The Latest

News

Advertisement
Advertisement

Share this article

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter
Email
Print