Tributes are flowing for Alex Flockhart, the 23-year-old New Norfolk man who died in custody at the Hobart Reception Prison on Sunday.
Flockhart was a father, a son and a brother.
His loved ones have been sharing their grief online, mourning a life they say was marked by struggle.
“I hope you’ve found peace,” one tribute read.

“I hope you’re free from your demons.”
Another said he was “just a broken, misunderstood kid lost in the struggle”.

“You can finally rest now,” it read.
Another loved one wrote “I tried so, so hard to save you. I’m sorry I couldn’t.”
Flockhart had been arrested on Saturday afternoon in connection with a firearm wounding incident in Claremont in the early hours of Friday morning.
He was transferred into custody at the Hobart Reception Prison around 5:30pm on Saturday.

Just before 11am on Sunday, prison staff found him unresponsive in his cell.
Tasmania Police Assistant Commissioner Doug Oosterloo said paramedics, police and prison staff all attempted to revive Flockhart but he was pronounced dead around 11:30am.
The cause of death is unknown and will be determined by the Coroner following a post-mortem.
A Professional Standards investigation is underway into the circumstances of the death.

Oosterloo said the family are “understandably devastated”.
A second man, 22-year-old Aleck Evans, appeared in the Hobart Magistrates Court today charged with six offences over the same Claremont incident.
The charges include common assault and recklessly discharging a firearm.
Evans was denied bail and is expected to return to court next month.
A man in his 20s who was shot during the Claremont incident remains in the Royal Hobart Hospital in a serious condition.