Advertisement
Pulse Tasmania Hoz Black Logo

[breaking_news_bar]

TasPorts rejects 3,000-person techno event at Hobart’s MAC02

Picture of Pulse Tasmania
TasPorts said MAC02 was not suitable due to port security requirements

TasPorts has knocked back a planned 3,000-person techno event at MAC02 on Hobart’s waterfront, leaving organisers scrambling for a new venue less than three weeks before it was due to go ahead.

Psy On Events had been planning PSYON for September 5, billing it as Hobart’s biggest indoor electronic music event, with four European DJs booked to make their only Australian appearance.

Advertisement

Organiser Oliver Pybus said he was initially told he could continue planning the event, before TasPorts raised concerns and asked him to provide a risk assessment, event management plan and $30 million in insurance coverage.

“I did all of that for them in like two days,” he told Pulse.

PSYON was billed as Hobart’s biggest indoor electronic music event

Pybus said he was then told he would receive an answer by the end of the week, but claimed the deadline kept shifting.

He said the TasPorts staff member he had been dealing with was supportive of the event but told him the final decision had been made by someone higher up.

Psy On Events previously held unauthorised raves in Bidencopes Lane

“She said nothing like this has ever happened before,” Pybus said.

Pybus said tickets had already been sold and production costs paid.

Advertisement

“We haven’t sold like a million tickets, but it’s enough to not wanna [change the venue],” he said.

He said he was now left having to explore other venue options.

The event was planned for MAC02 on Hobart’s waterfront. Image / File

In a statement to Pulse, a TasPorts spokesperson said no contract or agreement was in place while the proposal was being assessed.

“Following a risk assessment, TasPorts determined the site is not suitable, given its location within an operational port and the security requirements that apply there,” the spokesperson said.

Advertisement

TasPorts said it had facilitated a site visit and told organisers the proposal would be assessed through its internal approval process.

Psy On Events had previously held unauthorised raves in Bidencopes Lane and the Hobart Rivulet tunnels, both of which were shut down by police.

Organiser Oliver Pybus said tickets had already been sold for PSYON

It has since been working with the Hobart City Council to put on legal events, recently holding an ‘underground rave’ beneath Town Hall.

Pybus had hoped the September 5 event would mark a shift for the group towards fully licensed and regulated shows.

PSYON was set to feature European DJs DNNS, Phat Otiz, Gehlektek and Vido, who were due to travel to Hobart specifically for the event.

More of The Latest

News

Advertisement
Advertisement

Share this article

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter
Email
Print