Advertisement
Pulse Tasmania Hoz Black Logo

[breaking_news_bar]

Albanese rejects calls for royal commission into femicide during Hobart radio interview

Picture of Pulse Tasmania
Hit100.9 breakfast co-host Christie Hayes pressed Albanese on the royal commission petition

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has dismissed calls for a royal commission into violence against women, telling a Hobart radio audience such inquiries mostly “fund lawyers”.

Albanese made the comments on Hit100.9’s breakfast show on Monday, when co-host Christie Hayes pressed him on a petition that has gathered more than 91,000 signatures.

Advertisement

“What does a royal commission do besides fund lawyers? What we need here is solutions … we know what’s required here,” he said.

“We know that there’s too much violence against women. We know what keeps women in these relationships.”

Hayes slammed the prime minister’s response to her question

Albanese said state-level inquiries had already taken place and funding was better directed to services.

“We need to get on with action when it comes to these issues,” he said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese dismissed calls for a royal commission into femicide

Hayes pushed back, saying families deserved justice and answers.

“When it comes to the deaths of many women in this country, thousands and thousands that we’re talking about over the years, perhaps it might also be because they want justice,” she said.

Advertisement

Hayes later posted on social media that she was having “another day of being a ‘difficult’ woman” and was “so angry” after her chat with the prime minister. She was dressed in black for women killed in Australia.

The prime minister was in Hobart to promote a 1,000-home housing development at Dowsing Point.

The 30-hectare Derwent Barracks site at Dowsing Point is slated to become a new suburb. Image / Supplied

Both his breakfast radio interviews turned to violence against women after two Tasmanian women were found dead over the weekend.

Earlier, on Triple M’s Kaz and Tubes, Albanese met Shakira Robertson, whose mother Jacqui Purton was killed in 2023 after being hit by a car driven by her ex-boyfriend, James Kenneth Austin.

Advertisement

Austin’s charge was downgraded from murder to manslaughter. He was sentenced to 13 years but will serve eight.

Robertson, now 23 and legal guardian of her younger brothers, is pushing for a law that would classify a motor vehicle as a weapon.

Shakira Robertson has been pushing for Jacqui’s Law since her mother’s death in 2023

“In the eyes of the law, [Jacqui’s Law] would have a motor vehicle recognised as a weapon and be treated with the same level of severity as a firearm,” Robertson said.

She said a prosecutor told her that her mum “might be alive today” if she had “jumped out the way quick enough”.

Albanese said meeting Robertson was “an honour” and praised her bravery.

“One woman being subjected to violence is one too many,” he said. “It is never acceptable.”

Shakira Robertson has been pushing for Jacqui’s Law since her mother’s death in 2023

He pointed to the government’s $4.4 billion plan, which includes a permanent $5,000 leaving violence payment, 10 days of paid family and domestic violence leave, 500 additional community workers and increased funding for support line 1800RESPECT.

According to The Red Heart Campaign, 27 women have been killed by violence in Australia this year. The figure was 79 in 2025 and 106 in 2024.

Anyone affected by domestic or family violence can contact 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.

More of The Latest

News

Advertisement
Advertisement

Share this article

Facebook
WhatsApp
Twitter
Email
Print